Thursday 27 October 2011

DJ-ing and Teaching? Really?

As a student I have to find ways to entertain myself and DJ-ing is one of them and when ever someone comes up to me after I have finished on a night and asks 'What course are you Studying?' I say Primary Teaching and they all look shocked! Ha, as if they didn't expect someone who DJs to teach, yet alone teach younger KS1 Children. How many DJ-ing Teachers do you come across?? With the Exception of Mr Oliver Quinlan of course! He actually got me thinking, are DJ-ing and Teaching fairly similar?

I coincidentally started my first school based work experience just 2 weeks before I began to learn to DJ 3 years ago this October, my world was full of learning you could say. Learning how to interact with the children correctly, what language to use, what the children's names are (fairly important some would say!?).

Does this link with DJ-ing though?

Both are performed to a crowd that is the most obvious comparison we are all 'performers' as we teach the class what they need and in some ways what they want to be taught. If I play the wrong song or miss match a beat the audience will tell me, much like if I go to fast for my class or say something they do not understand you can tell by their facial expressions whether they do or do not understand.

Playing the right music in the classroom AKA providing them with the right information, the correct style of learning that best suites the classes needs as much as humanly possible. Surely trying our best is what anyone wants for us but as teachers sometimes that may not be enough (depending on the circumstances of course) passion is something that we as the next generation of teachers need to continue to have.


The audience is your class, the club is your classroom and the music is your curriculum. Much like many students music is a key part of their day to day lives especially at University, not a day goes by that I don't hear some music blasting out of Student Halls across campus but some people like myself and other DJs really embrace music and If I can embrace the curriculum and make it my own like I have with my music then I think I might be doing something right!

So maybe I should start thinking that the class is my audience, the classroom is my club and the curriculum is my music and that the children need a 'dj'...

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Really enjoyed reading your blogpost! I really like your link between DJs and teachers. I guess they are both under a lot of pressure to perform in front of a potentially large audience and must meet the "needs" of the audience to keep them happy, though perhaps the stakes are a bit higher in education :). When you are "reading" the audience what techniques do you use to help you do this? How do you keep up with the changing tastes of the crowd and how to you juggle this with the actual performance? Are there sometimes periods where you know what the crowd want but you think that you might mix things up a bit to give them a new experience?

    Thanks again. It's really good to read a unique perspective on education! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liking this Mr Stoner! Some nice work on taking an apparently informal activity and thinking how it can be harnessed for teaching and learning. Keep up the great work and keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete